For Maui Association of Landscape Professionals (MALP) members, landscape and ornamental professionals and laborers, and skilled home-gardeners. All classes will be approved for ISA and LICT CEUs. These classes will prepare you for the Landscape Industry Certified Technician (LICT) common core and ornamental maintenance certification if you choose to take the test. Or join the classes to learn and increase your skills. All instructors and participants must follow the CDC, and Maui County COVID-19 requirements.
I. CLASSROOM TRAINING:
- Irrigation Basic Components-review available irrigation materials, controller programming, nozzle adjustments, valves, how to select proper tools for repairs or adjustments.
Instructor: Gary Thompson.
Date: 9/3/2020 3-5 pm.
- Landscape Plan Reading-how to read landscape planting plans, determine plant spacing and quantities and using everyday calculations.
Instructor: Bill Mitchell.
Date: 9/10/20 3-5 pm
- Basic Landscape Math-learn how to calculate amount fertilizer, pesticides, topsoil, mulch, compost, convert units, plant spacing.
Instructor: Allison Wright.
Date: 9/17/2020 3-5 pm
- Basic Botany-Choosing the right plant for the right place by learning how to distinguish groundcovers, shrubs, & trees using plant ID by family. Learn sun versus shade requirements & USDA plant zones
and comparing the mainland United States versus Hawaii.
Instructor: Hannah Lutgen.
Date: 9/24/20 3-5 pm.
I. HANDS-ON TRAININGS/FIELD DAYS
- Tree and Plant Care-planting, pruning, diagnosis, identifying parts of trees, choosing proper equipment based on diameter/size of branches, proper pruning techniques, how to properly plant and stake a tree.
Instructor: Kevin Gavagan.
Date: 10/1/2020 3-6 pm.
- Landscape Equipment Operation and Safety-how to use equipment safely, proper PPE for equipment, how to select & mix fuel properly. Will also include creating work orders communication strategies with clients.
Instructor: Kevin Gavagan.
Dates: 10/8/20 3-6 pm.
- Basic Irrigation Repairs and Maintenance- will include irrigation troubleshooting, leak repair, valve troubleshooting.
Instructor: Maxie Bolor.
Date: 10/15/20 3-5 pm.
- Soil components, Fertility, and Plant Nutrition-learn about soil texture, soil and plant nutrients, pH, salinity, and plant nutrition.
Instructor: Harold Keyser.
Date: 10/22/20 3-5 pm.
Individual class $50 non-members/ $40 MALP members.
Entire Workforce Education Series (includes all hands-on and classroom trainings) $375 non-members, $295 MALP members. Must pre-register for the entire series*
For more information, please visit:
To order LICT training manuals, please email Hannah Lutgen at firstname.lastname@example.org.