REMINDER: If you have not responded to our survey regarding the upcoming Maui Tree Care Safety Workshop on 5/22/2014 featuring John Ball, please do so. The survey deadline is 3/21/2014. At this point, the Maui workshop is in danger of being canceled due to insufficient interest. 15 people have responded so far including our 3 volunteers and we need around twice that for the workshop to break even. If you are interested in attending, please forward this email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the number you expect to attend from your company. This is not a firm commitment.
Maui Tree Care Safety Workshop
This will be an all day workshop with approximately 6 CEUs featuring internationally renowned speaker, John Ball. John is a PhD from South Dakota State University, he’s funny, and he knows his stuff. Here’s a link with more information about him:
John started out working for a tree care company before getting his doctorate, so he’s very practical and hands-on in his approach. He’s also done extensive research about injuries and fatalities in our industry.
The following is a rough program outline of the topics to be covered:
- An overview of fatal and non-fatal incidents in the tree care industry – an examination of the more common incidents and the causal agents
- The use of the Haddox Matrix in tree worker incidents – what happens before and after an incident is as important to the outcome as the incident itself
- The biggest 2 factors in making tree work safe and productive – job set-up and job briefing
- Working around electrical conductors – electrical contact is the #1 killer of tree workers; the standards and regulations to be followed when working within the electrical hazard zone
- Planning the work and working the plan – efficient means of working a tree
- Emergency response for tree care – first aid needs for tree worker incidents; the most common injuries and how the crew should respond to an injured co-worker
- The price for early registration is $80 for WCISA/AAA members and $105 for non-members. The price for late registration and walk-ins is $105 for WCISA/AAA members and $130 for non-members. Registration will open around the end of March.
Aloha Arborist Association